4 November, 2023
One World Shop, the pioneering retail hub for fair trade and sustainable products, is excited to announce its 40th Anniversary. This is a momentous occasion that reflects four decades of hard work dedicated to promoting fairness, sustainability, and cultural diversity.
Since its inception in 1983 One World Shop has been committed to making a difference, one fair trade product at a time. From a small stall run by volunteers, the shop has grown over the decades to become a thriving social enterprise popular with national and international visitors, situated beside St John’s Church at the west end of Princes Street in Edinburgh.
The shop’s mission to support artisans and farmers from countries in the south, while offering customers unique, handcrafted gifts, has never wavered. It has been an important part of the history of Fair Trade in the UK, supporting the instigation of the Fairtrade Foundation and the introduction of fairtrade goods into supermarkets in the 1990’s while also helping to set up BAFTS (the British Association of Fair Trade Shops & Suppliers). It became a key part of establishing Edinburgh as a Fairtrade City in 2004 and was a founder member of the Scottish Fair Trade Forum and the exciting development of Scotland becoming a Fair Trade Nation, 10 years ago.
From the start it made strong links with producer organisations in the South, particularly with Bangladesh, India, and Nepal. Today it works with nearly 100 suppliers and producer groups, many of whom are part of respected organisations like BAFTS (British Association of Fair Trade Shops & Suppliers) and WFTO (World Fair Trade Organization).
Rachel Farey, Business Manager: “It has been an extraordinary journey of highs and lows over the 4 decades, but our remarkable team of committed staff, volunteers, stallholders and dedicated customers has been highly instrumental in our success; we are indebted to them in spreading awareness of the shop, fair trade principles and the positive effects we can all make on marginalised communities worldwide”.
One World Shop’s 40th Anniversary is not just about celebrating the past but also looking forward to the future. It’s a testament to its commitment to creating a more equitable and sustainable world while offering an exceptional shopping experience.
Join the One World Shop in this milestone celebration and be a part of the change you wish to see in the world.
About One World Shop
One World Shop, established in 1983 in Edinburgh is a trailblazing fair trade store committed to supporting artisans and farmers worldwide. For 40 years, One World Shop has been a trusted source for ethically sourced, handcrafted products, promoting cultural diversity and sustainability. By shopping with One World Shop, you are not just acquiring unique and beautiful products but also contributing to a fairer, more equitable world.
In honour of their 40th year, there is an exciting line-up of events and initiatives that capture the spirit of One World Shop.
Here’s what to expect during the 40th anniversary celebrations:
- Welcome to special guests from Community Crafts, Bangladesh
Arriving on Thursday 9 November for 20 days, M Ghayasuddin and Shabbir Afridi will be here giving talks and visiting organisations around the UK to promote Fair Trade.
- Anniversary Celebration: Saturday 11 November, 7pm at St John’s Church Hall, Edinburgh EH2 4BJ. Contact OWS for invitation.
- Cross Party group: Scottish Government: Wednesday 15 November, 1-2pm. The Cross-Party Group on Fair Trade and the Cross-Party Group on Bangladesh will be holding a joint meeting on Wednesday 15 November at 1pm-2pm. The meeting will be held in person in the Scottish Parliament with an option to join remotely. The meeting will examine some issues around trade with Bangladesh and will hear from Prof Aziz Islam of Aberdeen University who has carried out research on the textile industry in Bangladesh and M Ghayasuddin and Shabbir Afridi of Community Crafts in Bangladesh who will be visiting Scotland as part of the 40th anniversary of Edinburgh’s One World Shop.
- Community Crafts Talk and display of products: Wednesday 15 November, 4-5pm at One World Shop. Guests will speak in depth about the work they do producing high quality recycled textile products in Saidpur, North Bangladesh.
- Christmas Shopping Open Weekend: Saturday 25 & Sunday 26 November, 10am – 5.30pm: Promotions, activities, special offers to celebrate 40 years of Fair Trade at the One World Shop.